Sunday, August 12, 2012

TJM Celebrity Charity Kayak Fishing Tournament

Well I fished the TJM Celebrity Charity Kayak Tournament hosted by Hook, Line and Paddle in Wilmington. This was my first kayak tournament and I didn't know what to expect. It was great with Hook Line and Paddle along with the help of NCKFA Mark Patterson a great time was had by everyone that participated. I met anglers from all over NC, SC and VA. I will start out with saying I have never wet a line in the waters in or around the cape fear. I bought a beach pass on Friday to allow me to drive on the beach Saturday. I was waiting for the ranger at 5:30am along with 7 other trucks and when the gate went up it was a mad dash down the beach and an amazing site it was.
Everyone off loaded and was in the water on their own way. I just started working a marsh line and with the tide out I knew it was going to be tough. Then I saw a site I have wanted to see for 30 years, tailing redfish. The drum where in 1 1/2 feet of water and aggressive on the bottom. I tossed in a Gulp! shrimp and when I tightened up I thought I had a strike. When I set the hook the group scattered and I pulled in my clump of grass. We will call this lesson 1 in tailing redfish. I worked the area but they were gone and I was heart broken. I moved down the marsh and saw another tail. I tossed in with no results. Another throw and fish on. He ran out and circled the kayak. What a ride! I saw him on the surface and I knew this was an upper slot fish. I had him worn down and 10 feet from my net and the hook pulled. I stopped and thought this was not going to be my day and I am paying the price on new water. I continued fishing the incoming tide and drifting some live baits for flounder but no luck. All in all I was rewarded with a perfect day of fishing with god allowing me to see the tailing drum that were on my bucket list. Next time I am a little wiser and understand the water a little better. Its hard to top the locals as I spoke with Joe Waple the winner in the redfish division with a 30 1/4" fish when I was pulling out. Joe said he was live baiting all morning and had caught the largest drum he had ever caught in the area. Sound like I was in the right area but I just missed my fish. The NCKFA host the next tournament at Oak Island and I am planning on attending. If you are there flag me down and say hello. I am sure I will be sporting a salty Sebile hat that I received at Hook, Line and Paddle. If you are in the market for a new kayak support the dealers that support your sport.

1 comment: