Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pamlico Grand Slam on the Kayak

Got out about 7am with very little wind and not many people. I saw one other kayak angler and he was a few hunderd yards away. I paddled to the march near the main river and worked a top water plug and MR17 the entire way with no luck. I was thinking since the sun is coming higher I may need to try a little deeper. I tied on a Gulp shrimp with a 1/4 oz head and it didn't take long to connect with a small red. Photobucket I kept on throwing the shrimp and next came a small flounder. Followed by a small trout. Photobucket Its a good thing I like catch and release since everything was undersized. This continued and when the like got tight I knew this was going to be a nice red. To my surprise it is a small striper and man did he put up a fight. Photobucket I had to wrap up the morning to meet the family at a pig picking that was only 10 miles away so I worked the shore line on the way back and got into a nice flounder hole where I was able to catch some supper. Nice 15 1/4 inch flounder. Photobucket Once I got back to the ramp I did a survey with the NC DMR and he said he had been to Oriental and Aurora the two weekends before with little to show. I was happy as long as I was catching. The total on the morning: 4 flounder 3 speckled trout 2 stipers 1 puppy red drum 4-5 crockers (man they love Gulp) All but one stripers were caught on Gulp. I would still say that the bigger fish prefer a Mirrolure over the Gulp.

No comments:

Post a Comment